Missouri Hub Code of Conduct
A primary goal of Missouri Hub is to be inclusive to the largest number of participants, with the most varied and diverse backgrounds possible. As such, we are committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all, regardless of ability, age, education, ethnicity, gender identity, race, sexual orientation or other characteristic.
This code of conduct outlines our expectations for all those who participate in our community, as well as the consequences for unacceptable behavior. We invite all those who participate in Missouri Hub to help us create safe and positive experiences for everyone.
2. Expected Behavior
The following behaviors are expected and requested of all community members:
- Demonstrate empathy, openness and kindness toward other people.
- Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions.
- Welcome input and contributions from all participants, and ensure that all voices are being heard.
- Attempt collaboration before conflict and welcome constructive criticism.
- Alert the Steering Committee at missourihub.org/code-of-conduct-report-form or seek out the event organizer if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of this Code of Conduct.
3. Unacceptable Behavior
The following behaviors are considered harassment and are unacceptable within our community:
- Violence, threats of violence or violent language directed against another person.
- Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
- Posting or displaying sexually explicit or violent material.
- Demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
- Unwelcome sexual attention, including sexualized comments or jokes, inappropriate touching, groping, and advances.
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking or following (online or in person).
- Sustained disruption of meetings or other Missouri Hub events.
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior.
4. Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behavior from any participant, including sponsors and those with decision-making authority, will not be tolerated. Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
If a community participant engages in unacceptable behavior, the Steering Committee may take one or more of the following actions as they deem appropriate:
- A written warning indicating the offense and the consequences of continued violation.
- A temporary ban from Missouri Hub sponsored meetings and activities.
- A permanent expulsion from Missouri Hub sponsored meetings and activities.
If the person engaging in unacceptable conduct is participating on behalf of an organization, their employer will be notified of the violation.
5. Reporting Guidelines
If you are subject to or witness unacceptable behavior, or have any other concerns, please notify the chair of the Missouri Hub Steering Committee as soon as possible.
Current Chair (2020-21): Jane Davis, Linda Hall Library
Missouri Hub respondents will respect the privacy wishes of reporters and those experiencing unacceptable behavior.
We expect all participants (attendees, leaders, sponsors, and other guests) to abide by this Code of Conduct in all community venues–online and in-person–as well as in all one-on-one communications pertaining to Missouri Hub business.
This code of conduct and its related procedures also applies to unacceptable behavior occurring outside the scope of community activities when such behavior has the potential to adversely affect the safety and well-being of community members, for instance during MissouriHub social gatherings.
7. License and attribution
Adopted by vote of the Missouri Hub Steering Committee on xxxx-xx-xx.