Practicum Position Available: Promotion and Administrative Support for 2019 Missouri Hub Library Carpentry Workshop
The Missouri Hub seeks a practicum student to assist in the promotion for and coordination of a Library Carpentry workshop to be held in St. Louis the week of December 9, 2019. Library Carpentry, a subset of the Carpentries, strives to “empower [the library community] to use software and data in their own work as well as be advocates for and train others in efficient, effective and reproducible data and software practices.” Successful practicum applicants should be passionate about the Carpentries mission of empowering and enabling learners from all backgrounds.
If qualified, the practicum student would be invited to support the workshop as a workshop Helper. Otherwise, the practicum student would be encouraged to attend the workshop as a participant.
Benefits of Position
- Develop professional network in Missouri Hub community of practice
- Collaborative and practical application toward growth and learning in information sciences
- Exposure to foundational skills for software development and data science
Specific tasks expected for this project include
- Develop and curate promotional materials for Library Carpentry workshop
- Create workshop website from Carpentries template
- Assist in the delivery of promotional materials
- Organize and manage registration details
- Lead communication for workshop participants
- Support workshop host in organizing accommodations for workshop participants
- Additional responsibilities assigned
- Familiarity with GitHub
- Excellent written communication
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and balance multiple deadlines
- Commitment to Carpentry mission
- Familiarity with the Carpentries
- Familiarity with git, OpenRefine, Regular Expressions, and the UNIX shell
Applicants studying library and information science or a related discipline are encouraged to apply.
Please direct and questions to Anna Oates ([email protected]b.org).